Rideshare companies like Uber, Lyft, and Veyo have made getting a ride to and from your desired destination a matter of a few easy taps on your mobile device. But the aftermath of a rideshare accident is never as easy. So, what happens when you’re involved in an accident while riding an Uber, Lyft or another rideshare vehicle? What are your rights if you sustain injuries in a rideshare vehicle collision? These are becoming increasingly common questions and areas of concern that the experienced and dedicated legal team at Lebovitz Law Group have faced and researched on behalf of many clients. With the increased use of ridesharing technologies such as Uber, Lyft, Veyo, and related companies such as Uber Eats, DoorDash, Grubhub, or Postmates, Lebovitz Law Group wants you prepared. Liability and Coverage for Rideshare Accidents Liability in a rideshare accident operates much like a traditional vehicle collision in that liability falls on the driver who is at fault. In Arizona, rideshare drivers are considered independent contractors who must maintain up-to-date insurance coverage on their personal vehicles to cover any claims made by customers of the services. However, some drivers do not maintain such coverage or do not realize that their insurance policy does not cover accidents while driving for a rideshare or transportation network company. Many companies, including Uber and Lyft, have company-wide insurance policies that cover injuries and property damage in cases where the driver’s personal policy does not cover the damage. Coverage afforded by a rideshare company’s insurance policy, such as Uber or Lyft, may be dependent on certain criteria. For example:
- If the Lyft or Uber driver is involved in an accident in which the app is “off” or not logged in as an active Lyft or Uber driver, then the responsibility is on the driver’s personal auto insurance carrier. Uber or Lyft claims no responsibility in such situations.
- If the Lyft or Uber driver is involved in an accident while the app is “on,” the damages will be covered by a combination of the driver’s personal auto insurance and Uber/Lyft’s insurance policy. Uber or Lyft may cover damages in excess of the driver’s personal auto policy if the Uber or Lyft driver is determined to be “at-fault” in an accident.
- If the accident occurs due to the negligence of the passenger in an Uber or Lyft, then the passenger’s personal insurance policy may be responsible for covering the damages.
- Coverage afforded Veyo contractors includes third-party liability and uninsured motorist coverage. However, Veyo does not afford underinsured, medical payment or comparable coverage.
What To Do if You Are Injured in A Rideshare Service Vehicle If you have been involved in an accident while riding in a rideshare or transportation network company vehicle, there are a few steps you should take to ensure the personal wellbeing of both you and any other passengers involved, as well as the success of your legal case:
- Remain calm and make sure nobody is hurt.
- Call 911 and report the accident to the authorities.
- Document the scene of the accident and any damage to photos and videos. Additionally, if possible, take photos of your location in the Uber or Lyft app where the accident occurred.
- Write down the information of all parties involved in the accident.
- Remain on the scene as a witness to give your account of the accident to the authorities. Write down the information of any other witnesses.
- Immediately contact Lebovitz Law Group, a law firm experienced in rideshare accidents. The sooner you contact an attorney, the better chance you have of obtaining a recovery in your case.
If You Have Been Injured in A Rideshare Accident, Call Lebovitz Law Group Today! Please contact Lebovitz Law Group today to find out what we can do for you. The experienced and dedicated legal team at Lebovitz Law Group will be by your side every step of the way. You will receive sound advice, assistance accessing the care and treatment you need to recover from your injuries, and an entire law firm dedicated to fighting for top dollar compensation for your claims.